Where To Get The Best Comfort Food In The Country
The Black Pig
The comfortable yet modern aesthetic of The Black Pig is the perfect backdrop for their elevated classic take on typical European bistro fare. With an extensive menu, it is a dependable solution for both families and the corporate crowd alike.
- While the restaurant boasts an array of charcuterie and viands, the vegan tasting menu and vegetarian selections offer an equally satisfying experience, as both the mushroom and pumpkin risotto make a full meal by themselves.
- The prime Angus short ribs are soft and savoury. Complement this with a craft beer from their wide selection.
- The brunch here is not to be missed. The Black Pig Cava Breakfast fulfills the requirements of a typical English breakfast, with sausage and bacon highlighted by grilled mushrooms and tomato accompanied by a glass of Cava Brut Nature or rosé.
Bondi & Bourke
When one wants consistently good food in a comfortable setting, Bondi & Bourke comes to mind. Hearty Australian meals are served by a knowledgeable and amiable waitstaff who are more than happy to suggest what you should try.
- Do try the French pâté to start. It is smooth and just divine.
- The mussels alone are reason enough for a visit. Large, succulent, and fresh, they are prepared in four ways... the most outstanding being the classic presentation with white wine and parsley.
- The U.S. and Australian rib-eye is soft and juicy, seasoned just right and served with potato purée, greens, and pepper mustard.
Leave room for the bread and butter pudding! The last word on sweet indulgence.
Aside from getting your German beer fix, the restaurant offers a gastronomic selection of carnivore delights—from steaks, to sausages, to chops that are blissfully savoury with every bite.
- Go with the mozzarellasalat to start your meal, which is a classic salad with mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, grilled zucchini, olives, and a pesto sauce that gets your appetite going.
- Satisfy your meat cravings with either the zweibelrostbraten, an aromatic rosemary marinated grilled flank steak, or the schweinkotelette (char-grilled King Henry pork chops topped with garlic butter). Either will bring you to heaven and back.
- End your meal with a gemischtes eis, or mixed ice cream topped with almonds. They have a well-curated selection of ice cream flavours that will suit any preference.
Huckleberry Southern Kitchen
This popular watering hole tucked away in a quiet corner of Davao, on the ground floor of an old heritage house, exudes a cosy vibe. Dishes are crafted from locally-sourced, seasonal ingredients; some are home-made.
- Cheese lovers will go crazy over the hearty huevos rancheros chilli (barnyard chilli topped with cream cheese and fried eggs served with fried flour tortillas) and jerk chicken quesadillas (smoked Jamaican chicken in flour tortillas with salsa, lettuce, and cheese). Each gooey bite is bursting with flavour.
- The southern fried chicken, which comes with either waffles or freshly made corn muffins, is one of the restaurant's bestsellers for a reason.
- The rich and tangy squid ink pasta is a must-try—just not on date night.
Like the artist it is named after, this bistro has creative, modern takes on classic international flavours, which we have grown to love but appreciate more because of the twists made by chef Amado Garcia Fernandez and his gourmet global gastronomy.
- Start with the boquerones with green chilli peppers, the grilled octopus with creamy potato base and crispy garlic bits, or the baked eggplant and goat cheese phyllo pouches.
- For salads, try the seared scallop with fresh greens complemented with a truffle dressing.
- The lamb shank confit is juicy and tender with a subtle, semi-sweet glaze.
- The thin-layered paellas are diet-friendly, made lighter using risotto and flavoured with mushroom truffle and parmesan or squid ink.
Pound by Todd English
One thing that Todd English has mastered is burgers and it was no surprise that he and his partner, Eric Dee, would put up a restaurant dedicated to such. After the success of their New York casual dining food hall in BGC, the stylish Prohibition Erainspired Pound by Todd English has swept fast foodies and gourmands alike off their feet with its cooked-to-perfection burgers, salads, and more.
- It would be such a shame if one leaves Pound not having tried its signature Pound Burger, a medium rare house ground beef patty, with seared foie gras and foie gras mousse, in house-baked brioche buns.
- Pound has limited options when it comes to alcoholic beverages to complement its hearty menu but nothing can be better than a cold beer with a classic T.E. Burger. Match these with a plate on the side of Pound’s unique cubed take on onion rings, the #Onion3.
With outstanding European cuisine delivered in a way that is chic but not stuffy, it is no wonder Sala Bistro has long been a favourite of the Manila dining scene. Sala Bistro is a reliable choice for both power meetings and that special date night.
- Explore the extensive drinks menu, featuring bubbly cocktails and speciality martinis, to whet the appetite.
The garlicky portabello mushrooms with goat cheese on toast is addictively satiating. Or, try the steak tartare with French fries with a glass of Bodegas Roda Reserva. For big appetites, the ultra savoury braised lamb shank with green beans and parmesan mash is a must.
Sala Bistro’s weekend brunch is one of Makati’s best-kept secrets and features favourites like fresh organic eggs, flaky croissants, and rhubarb crumble. The restaurant’s Bloody Mary is a staple of the brunch scene and arguably one of their best cocktails.
Single Origin is a great place to go to for a quick lunch or an easy dinner. Situated in a prime spot amidst bustling Rockwell, its quirky interiors remind you of a soho café or someone’s eclectic living space.
- Try the crab fat pasta for a flavourful mouthful filled with a variety of seafood such as scallops, shrimp, crab, and a smattering of olives. The pasta has a tangy punch, is slightly sweet with a hint of salt!
- The short rib benedict is their interpretation of a benedict sans bread, but is with a potato hash that is topped with a poached egg. The short ribs are on the sweet side and are quite succulent.
- The fried chicken and waffles are wonderfully crispy and tender—a comforting dish!
Being right in the middle of the Makati CBD. The Pigpen is great for hosting corporate breakfast or lunch pow wows as well as boozy work come downs.
- While the basics hit the spot, the Pigpen x Curator cocktails, are particularly spectacular. (Yes, that Curator)
- Brace up with a plate of the beef shank, mushroom, and bone marrow. Curb the rich factor with the tomato and salted egg salad, chef Carlos Garcia’s healthier albeit tasty version with black rice, tofu, and sesame-dressing
- Grilled whole to flaky, fall-apart perfection is the salt-crusted sea bass (to share) with its gratifying subtle flavours of cilantro, calamansi, fish sauce, chilies, and garlic.
- For dessert, it’s a tantalising toss up between the sinful dulce de leech praline and the unique black rice with mango-a twist on Thailand’s mango with sticky rice.
Todd English Food Hall
The sprawling food hall boasting nine stations from celebrity chef Todd English has something for everyone.
- For so many years, Todd English has been known for his flatbreads in his many restaurants across America. In this Manila branch, you'll find the much-lauded home-made flatbread topped with sticky-sweet fig jam and salty prosciutto.
- Aside from the Italian favourites, some other stand-outs include the lobster guacamole, charred octopus, the short-rib roasted until tender, and crab fat fried rice.
- Never leave without indulging in the signature desserts like the sinful OMG or The Bomb.
Wildflour Cafe + Bakery
The charming interiors are well appointed but not intimidating—a perfect foil to the culinary creations of the chef Ana de Ocampo.
- Start with the light and refreshing burrata and roasted tomato caprese so you save room for the bestselling kimchi fried rice topped with either cubes of tender beef brisket or 200g Argentinian flat-iron steak.
- If you are looking for something to satiate the Filipino palate, do try the braised pork belly, their version of adobo rice.
- The Good Morning Sunshine smoothie, a medley of strawberries, pineapple, mango, banana, and yoghurt, is filling to the point that it can actually replace a meal.
- Pair the massive slice of salted caramel chocolate cake for dessert with the Vietnamese latte or a shot of espresso.